Friday, August 5, 2011

Beaches, Sushi and a Yukata

Long time no see! Sorry it's been a while. Things have been pretty busy around here!

Since my last post I have done 4 camps and had my first host family stay! Wow. My favorite part of it all was the host family. I LOVED them. They were so kind and really fun to be with! The parents and I would stay up in the evenings talking. A beautiful modern young family. Getting to know the kids was so fun. Even though the kids knew only a tiny amount of English, we still had a blast playing "got your nose!" Things like that don't know language barriers.

Beaches


 
My host family and I did so many fun things! I want to fill you in on a few of the highlights! My host mom did my nails, taught me origami and calligraphy. She took me to the Dazaifu Tenmangu Shrine where I learned a lot about Japanese religion and history. Then, we met my host dad at his Beauty salon and went to the beach in Fukuoka together as a family! It was a perfect day!

Food
I got taste and make so many new Japanese foods with my host family too! We had soumen (the famous Japanese summer noodles) kakigori (flavored shaved ice), yakitory (grilled chicken on a stick). All of which I liked.
She also taught me how to make one of my favorite Japanese foods, curry and rice! It was delicious! The best I have had throughout my whole time here. Then, we went out for sushi, and much to my surprise, I loved it. The whole sushi restaurant was a new experience for me. You order what you want from a screen at your table and then it comes to you on a little train. So cool!

Yukata
While I was with my family it was their town's summer festival. So, my mom dressed me and my little host sister up in the beautiful Japanese summer dress called Yukata. She did my hair and made sure I looked just right! At the festival I tried many great foods and got to see some traditional Japanese dances. So many of the young girls were wearing yukata that I fit right in. Well, almost :) My host sister and I fished for a Japanese yo-yo and my host dad brother and sister and I participated in tug of war! Then, to top it all of I got to see a Wadaiko performance (the giant Japanese drum). It was stunning, so powerful. I wish I could learn to do that.
Speaking of learning instruments, my host dad taught me a few chords on the guitar. He was so cool. We spent most of one morning playing the guitar together. I hope I can continue learning when I get back home!

No comments:

Post a Comment